Victims Services

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063, Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Financial assistance for economic loss 

Financial assistance for economic loss is intended to help pay for loss of earnings and other costs that assist you with your recovery.

We can help pay for:

  • actual loss of income for taking time off work, up to $20,000
  • out of pocket expenses if it is hard for you to prove lost income, up to $5,000 
  • doctor, dentist or other medical bills, up to $30,000 
  • some costs of attending court or coronial proceedings, up to $5,000 
  • loss or damage to the clothes you wore or items you had when the act of violence happened, up to $1,500.

In total, you may claim up to $30,000.

Who can apply?

Eligibility up to $30,000

  • Primary victims.
  • Parents, step-parents and guardians of a primary victim who was under 18 when the incident happened.

Eligibility up to $5,000

  • A payment to family victims to go toward the cost of attending court or coronial proceedings.

For more information, see Eligibility criteria.

How long do I have to apply?

  • Within 2 years from the violent crime. 
    • If the violent crime resulted in the death of a victim, the 2-year time period starts from the date it was confirmed that the death resulted from the act of violence.
  • For children, within 2 years of turning 18 years old.
  • For victims of sexual assault who were children when the violent crime happened:
    • there is no time limit for claiming out-of-pocket expenses or costs of attending court proceedings.
    • loss of earnings, medical and dental, bills, and loss or damage to personal items can be claimed within 2 years of turning 18.

How do I apply?

PDF application forms are also available.

If you need help completing your application, you can ask a support worker, friend or family member, or contact Victims Services. 

Documents required

  • A copy of your current government-issued identification. For example, a driver licence, passport, Medicare card, or card issued by Centrelink. To find out what types of identification we accept, visit Supporting documents.
  • Police or government/government-funded organisation report that provides details about what happened and shows how the violent crime has affected you. This is not required for family victims (family members of a homicide victim).

If the violent crime was reported to NSW police, you don't need to send us a police report. You just need to provide as much information as you can about what has happened to you in the application form.

  • Medical, dental or counselling reports that show how the violent crime has affected you. This evidence is not required for family members of homicide victims.
  • Copies of itemised tax invoices, receipts or treatment plans of costs you are claiming.
  • A description of how each cost relates directly to the violent crime.
  • If you are claiming loss of income, please use the optional Certificate of Earnings form (PDF, 99.2 KB) to help you collect the required information. This form can be completed by your employer or by your accountant if you're self-employed. Alternatively, you can send us a letter from your employer that includes:
    • the employer’s name
    • how much you were paid
    • the dates you could not work - supported by medical certificates
    • your leave entitlements
    • employment type, for example part-time, full-time, casual or contract
    • whether you have been paid or are entitled to money from another source, such as income protection, workers compensation, Centrelink benefits.

If you are self-employed, please provide tax and bank statements that show your income.

Collecting information to support your application

Further information and optional forms are available to help you collect the information we need when applying for financial assistance for economic loss. This includes:

For more information on how to collect the information required, visit Supporting documents.

Last updated:

12 Feb 2024

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top