Victims Services

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063, Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Supporting documents

To apply for victims support, you will need to provide a variety of supporting documents to accompany your application. The documents you need to provide will depend on the type of support you are applying for. This page will help you to learn more about the documents and information we need and how you can collect this to support your application. 

Supporting documents required by all applicants 

All applicants must complete an application form and provide a copy of their current government-issued identification. 

Government-issued identification

You need to provide a copy of one form of current government-issued identification with your application. This could be a:

  • birth certificate
  • Centrelink card
  • change of name certificate
  • driver licence
  • marriage certificate
  • Medicare card
  • MIN card
  • passport
  • photo card
  • SafeWork licence
  • SafeWork white card
  • screenshot of your MyGov account or another government account.

Please do not send us the original document. Please ensure the copy or image:

  • is clear and not blurry
  • captures all parts of the identification, including the reverse side
  • has the same name on the identification document and application form. If your name is different, you must provide evidence such as a change of name certificate.

If the applicant is under the age of 18, a copy of their parent or guardian’s identification needs to be provided with the application form. 

If you cannot provide a copy of your government-issued identification document, please contact us to discuss your options. 

Additional information and documents required for certain support types

If you’re applying for financial assistance or a recognition payment, you will also need to send us extra supporting documents. The information and documents you need to provide will depend on your individual circumstances and the type of support(s) you’re applying for. This may include:

  • bank account information
  • details about a report to police
  • a report from a government or government-funded organisation 
  • a medical, dental or counselling report
  • itemised tax invoices, receipts or treatment plans.
  • information about your loss of earnings.

The required documentation must be provided to us when submitting your application, except for medical, dental or counselling reports for an application for a recognition payment, which can be provided within 12 months of applying.

We will not accept supporting documents shared through links to cloud storage or file-sharing services like Dropbox or Google Drive. Please upload your documents directly to the online application form or attach them to an email.

Bank account information

If you’re applying for financial assistance or a recognition payment, you will need to provide details of a bank account in your name. If you would like victims support payments to be made to an account in another name, please contact the Victims Access Line or Aboriginal Contact Line before submitting your application as we will require you to provide further documentation to accept your application.

Report from a government or government-funded organisation

If you did not report the incident(s) to NSW police, you can provide a report written by a government or government-funded organisation to support your application. Reports can be provided by organisations that receive funding from the NSW Government or Australian Government to provide welfare, health, counselling or legal assistance to victims of crime.

The report needs to be provided on the organisation’s letterhead and should be written objectively and factually, offering specific information and details rather than general references to incidents such as ‘domestic violence’. 

The report needs to include the following:

  • Details of the person applying for support, including their:
    • full name
    • date of birth
    • Victims Services application reference number (if known).
  • Details of the person writing the report, including their:
    • full name
    • contact telephone number
    • contact email address
    • job title and position.
  • Details of the government or government-funded organisation providing the report, including the:
    • services the organisation provides (welfare, health, counselling or legal assistance)
    • details of funding received from the NSW or Australian Government, including the name of the funding or grant package and the purpose of the funding.
  • Details of the applicant’s disclosure of the incident, including:
    • when the victim disclosed the incident
    • how the organisation assisted the victim.
  • Details of the incident disclosed by the applicant, including:
    • what happened
    • where and when it happened
    • how the victim was affected, including any physical or psychological injuries
    • whether it involved a single incident or a series of incidents.

The completed and signed report should be provided to you (the applicant) to upload to your application, email or post to us. 

Unfortunately, if information is missing from the report, we may not have enough evidence to determine the victim’s application for support.

Please note that Victims Services does not provide reimbursement or pay for the costs of an organisation completing a report. 

Victims Services may contact the organisation to verify the information provided. 

Medical, dental or counselling report

If you are applying for financial assistance for economic loss or a recognition payment, you will also need to provide a medical, dental or counselling report to show how the incident impacted you. If you are applying for financial assistance for immediate needs, you may choose to provide a medical, dental or counselling report to provide details about what happened to you and how the incident(s) impacted you. 

You  can ask your doctor, dentist, counsellor, or other medical or health professional, to provide one of the following:

  • a copy of your medical or health records
  • a completed Certificate of Injury form
  • a report or letter on the organisation’s letterhead that includes their contact details and qualifications, as well as information about the incident and any injuries that resulted from the violent crime or modern slavery.

The completed form, record(s) or report(s) should be provided to you (the applicant) to upload to your application, email or mail to us. 

We will reimburse you for the cost of getting copies of existing records if your application is successful. We will not cover the cost of new reports created for the purposes of supporting your application.

To learn how to get your health records, and other records the government may hold about you, visit the Information and Privacy Commission’s website

Tax invoices, receipts or treatment plans

If you’re applying for financial assistance , you may need to send us copies of itemised tax invoices, receipts, or treatment plans for the costs you’re claiming and explain how the costs relate directly to the violent crime or modern slavery. You will also need to provide evidence of any Medicare or private health insurance rebates. 

You can use the Expenses form to claim new expenses after your initial application for financial assistance has been submitted or approved.   

Information about your loss of earnings

If you've lost earnings because of a violent crime or modern slavery offence, you may be able to make a claim for this loss. 

As part of your claim, you’ll need to provide us with information about how you lost earnings because of the incident. 

You can use the optional Certificate of Earnings form to help you collect this information. This form can be completed by your employer or by your accountant if you’re self-employed. 

Alternatively, you can send us a letter from your employer that includes: 

  • the employer's name
  • how much you were paid
  • the dates you could not work - supported by medical certificates
  • your leave entitlements
  • employment type, for example part-time, full-time, casual or contract
  • whether you have been paid or are entitled to money from another source, such as income protection, workers compensation or Centrelink benefits. 

If you are self-employed, please provide tax and bank statements that show your income. 

The completed form or letter should be provided to you (the applicant) to upload to your application, email or mail to us.

Supporting documents for family victims

Family members of a homicide victim (family victims) have a different set of supporting documentation requirements. 

If you are a family victim, you may need to provide evidence of your relationship to the homicide victim, evidence of financial dependency and a completed Travel Expenses Declaration form (PDF, 256.8 KB). To learn more, please see:

Last updated:

08 Feb 2024

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top