Victims Services

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Recognition payment

A recognition payment is intended to acknowledge that a violent crime has been committed against you. Payment is based on the offence committed. 

Who can apply?

  • Primary victims
  • Parents, step-parents and guardians of a homicide victim
  • Current spouses, or de facto partners of a homicide victim
  • Financially dependent family victims and children under 18 years at the time of death of a homicide victim.

For more information, see Eligibility criteria.

Payment categories

  • $15,000 for financially dependent family victim or children under 18 at the time of death of the homicide victim.
  • $10,000 for primary victims of sexual assault involving serious bodily injury, multiple offenders, or an offensive weapon or a sexual assault, sexual act, or attempted sexual assault involving a series of incidents.
  • $7,500 for parents, step-parents or guardians, current spouses, or de facto partners of a homicide victim.
  • $5,000 for primary victims of a sexual assault (one incident), attempted sexual assault with serious bodily injury, assault with grievous bodily harm, or physical assault of a child that involves a series of incidents.
  • $1,500 for primary victims of an attempted sexual assault without serious bodily injury, sexual touching, a robbery involving violence, or an assault without grievous bodily harm.

How long do I have to apply?

  • Within 2 years from the violent crime or modern slavery. 
    • If the violent crime resulted in the death of a victim, the 2-year time period starts from the date it was confirmed that the death resulted from the act of violence.
    • Within 2 years of turning 18 years old if the victim was a child at the time of the incident. 
  • For a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse, within 10 years, or within 10 years of turning 18 if the victim was a child at the time of the incident (with the below exception for child sexual assault).
  • For a victim of sexual assault who was a child under the age of 18 when the incident happened, there is no time limit to apply.

How do I apply?

PDF application forms are also available. 

If you need help completing your application, you can ask a support worker, friend or family member, or contact Victims Services. 

Documents required

  • A copy of your current government-issued identification. For example, a driver licence, passport, Medicare card, or card issued by Centrelink. To find out what types of identification we accept, visit Supporting documents.
  • Police or government/government-funded organisation report that provides details about what happened and shows how the violent crime has affected you. This is not required for family victims of homicide victims.

If the violent crime was reported to NSW police, you don't need to send us a police report. You just need to provide as much information as you can about what has happened to you in the application form. 

  • Medical, dental or counselling reports that show how the violent crime has affected you. This evidence is not required for family victims of homicide victims.

Collecting information to support your application

Further information and optional forms are available to help you collect the information we need when applying for a recognition payment. This includes:

For more information on how to collect the information required, visit Supporting documents.

Important information

Make sure you send us medical, dental or counselling reports (or a Certificate of Injury form) showing how the violent crime has affected you. We cannot assess your claim until your reports are received.

If you do not give us your reports within 12 months of lodging your application, your claim will be closed.

If a recognition payment is approved while the applicant is younger than 18 years, the payment will be made to NSW Trustee and Guardian which will hold the payment until the applicant turns 18 years old. For more information about how NSW Trustee and Guardian will manage the payment, please visit the NSW Trustee and Guardian website or contact them directly.

Last updated:

15 Apr 2024

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top