Victims Services

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063, Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Direct Personal Response

A Direct Personal Response (DPR) can play an important role in helping survivors of institutional child sexual abuse achieve a sense of justice and healing. We help to facilitate DPRs for cases of abuse in relation to NSW government institutions.

If you accept a redress offer from the National Redress Scheme and the institution responsible is NSW Government institution, we can help you prepare for a DPR.

If a non-government institution was responsible for the abuse, you should contact the National Redress Scheme who can let you know who the relevant DPR contact is for that institution.

How can a DPR help?

It gives you the chance to be listened to about your experiences - and to receive genuine acknowledgement of the impact these have had on you. The institution will also accept accountability, express genuine apology and explain to you the steps they have taken to prevent child sexual abuse occurring again.

How is a DPR facilitated?

You can choose between a face-to-face meeting (in person, virtually or phone), or a written letter from the institution. Alternative arrangements can also be made, depending on the circumstances.

Face-to-face meeting

A face-to-face meeting is a private, facilitated meeting between you and a senior government representative. You can share your personal story, ask what is being done to prevent future abuse and discuss any further actions that might support your healing. 

Additionally, the government representative will: 

  • accept responsibility for the abuse
  • recognise the impacts it had on you
  • provide you with a genuine apology.

Written letter 

A written letter is a personal apology from a senior government representative that acknowledges:

  • the abuse you experienced
  • the impact the abuse has had on your life
  • your achievements and resilience.

It also provides a formal apology for the abuse and harm you were subjected to and a description of how child safety is currently managed.

Will I have support?

You can have a support person – a family member, friend, carer or professional worker (such as a counsellor) to help you through the DPR process.

A support person can help you consider your options, make enquiries on your behalf and provide emotional support throughout the process.

They can also be present during the face-to-face meeting, if you choose to have one.

For more information, read Direct Personal Response and the National Redress Scheme (PDF , 213.1 KB).

Can I change my mind or postpone the process?

At any time through the DPR process you can change your mind, slow things down, take a break or withdraw altogether. 

If you wish to resume your DPR in future, we will be there to help you arrange another time.

Who can I contact to provide feedback or to make a complaint?

We welcome any feedback – good or bad – as it helps us improve the process for you and for other survivors. You can let us know about your experience at any point.

How do I receive a DPR?

If you would like a DPR, contact us and we will guide you through the process.

Last updated:

14 Sep 2021

We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top