Victims Services

We're here to help. Call the Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 or Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

If you or anyone else is in immediate danger or a crime is currently occurring, please call Emergency Triple Zero (000).

Information for victims of crime

How we can help

If you have been a victim of crime, it's important to know that support is available. 

We can put you in touch with support services that can assist you. 

We can also help you to know your rights and how you can expect to be treated as a victim of crime. 

If you would like to learn more, or are unsure where to begin, get in touch with our staff who can guide you to find the help you need.

Aboriginal Contact Line on 1800 019 123

(Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm)

Interpreting support and the National Relay Service are available. To find out more, visit Contact us

Charter of Victims Rights

As a victim of crime in NSW, you have rights that protect you. 

The Charter of Victims Rights sets out how you should be treated by everyone who works in NSW Government departments and people working in organisations providing services to victims which are funded by the NSW Government. 

Have you been injured by a violent crime or modern slavery?

If you have been a victim of a violent crime in NSW, such as an assault, sexual assault or domestic violence, you may be eligible for assistance through the Victims Support Scheme.

Victims of modern slavery offences that occurred in NSW can also apply for support. 

The Victims Support Scheme provides counselling, financial assistance and a recognition payment to eligible victims who have been injured. 

For more information about eligibility and the support available, please visit Victims Support Scheme.

National Redress Scheme

The National Redress Scheme provides support to people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse anywhere in Australia with access to counselling, a direct personal response and a redress payment. 

You can apply for these supports through the National Redress Scheme any time before 30 June 2027. 

Victims registers

Victims of crime may be kept informed about changes to the status of an offender by going on a Victims Register. There are 3 victims registers in NSW for victims of adult offenders, youth offenders and forensic patients. 

Victim impact statements

Victims of crime may be able to make a victim impact statement in certain circumstances. A victim impact statement tells the court how a crime has impacted you. It is a chance for you to talk about how you feel and what has happened to you because of the crime. To learn more, download the Victim Impact Statements Guide (PDF, 796.6 KB)

Useful contacts and more information

Crisis numbers and helplines

Visit Crisis numbers and helplines for useful contacts, including support for domestic violence and sexual assault, housing, child protection, legal services and more. 

You can visit the Department of Communities and Justice's Domestic, family and sexual violence webpages to learn more about domestic, family and sexual violence, sexual consent and the law, and what you can do to keep yourself or someone you know safe. 

Victims support and services outside of NSW

If you have been a victim of crime in another Australian state or territory outside of NSW, the victim support organisation in the relevant state or territory can advise you about eligible support. 

Visit Victims support and services outside of NSW to find contact details for victim support organisations in another state. 

Report a crime in NSW

You can learn more about reporting a crime or a missing person on the NSW Police Force website.

If you are in immediate danger or a crime is currently occurring, call Triple Zero (000).

For non-urgent police assistance and general enquiries, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 (NSW) or 1800 725 631 (interstate).

You can also confidentially report information about a crime by calling Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online

Going to court?

You can find information about preparing for court and understanding what to expect at court by visiting the Justice Assist website.

Have you been injured in a motor accident in NSW?

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW, you may be eligible to claim benefits through the Compulsory Third Party scheme. This may include income support payments, medical treatment and care expenses, and/or rehabilitation programs. 

Learn more about the CTP scheme and how to claim on the State Insurance Regulatory Authority website

Ask a legal question

LawAccess NSW is a free information service that can provide you with legal information and connect you with services that can help you. Anyone who has a legal problem in NSW can contact LawAccess NSW for legal help over the phone, through webchat or online. LawAccess NSW can book an appointment for you at your local Legal Aid NSW office if your circumstances and your legal issue meet the criteria. 

To contact LawAccess NSW:

Last updated:

15 Apr 2024

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top