Victims Services

We're here to help. Call the Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 or Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Immediate Needs Support Package

The Immediate Needs Support Package (INSP) is available to primary victims of domestic violence in NSW.

It is intended to help you pay for things you need urgently to be safe and healthy or to secure your wellbeing because of the violent crime. 

Support packages available include:

  • rent assistance 
  • household items, such as furniture, bedding, kitchenware and linen
  • clothing and toiletries 
  • whitegoods and appliances 
  • change of locks 
  • security cameras 
  • security windows or doors 
  • alarm system 
  • storage 
  • removalist.

The packages you are eligible for will depend on your individual circumstances and the needs you have as a direct result of the violent crime. Packages have pre-set financial limits and can be combined up to a maximum of $5,000.

If you have already paid for relocation or security, you can apply for financial assistance for immediate needs and be reimbursed up to $5,000 for those costs. To learn more about this support type, visit Financial assistance for immediate needs.

The maximum amount that you can claim for financial assistance for immediate needs, including the Immediate Needs Support Package, is $5,000. 

Who can make a claim?

The Immediate Needs Support Package is available to primary victims of domestic violence.

To be eligible for the Immediate Needs Support Package, the domestic violence injury must have been committed by someone who either:

  • is or was your spouse or de facto spouse
  • is or was in an intimate personal relationship with you
  • lived with you at the time of the violent crime
  • is or was your parent, step-parent, guardian, child, step-child, sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling
  • was your ongoing paid or unpaid carer at the time of the violent crime. 

For more information on primary victims, see Eligibility criteria.

How long do I have to make a claim?

You need to make a claim within 2 years of the domestic violence offence. At the time of claiming, the evidence must show that you have an urgent need for the packages claimed as a direct result of the violent crime.

How do I make a claim?

To claim, please complete the Application for Support and the Immediate Needs Support Package (INSP) Claim Form (PDF, 780.9 KB).

If you're unable to fill out an Application for Support online, you can download the PDF application and claim forms and send both of your completed forms and supporting documents to us by email or post.

What do I need to make a claim?

You need to provide additional information and supporting documents with your completed forms. These include:

  • a clear copy or image of your current government-issued identification, as well as a copy of your parent or guardian's identification if you're under 18. Visit Supporting documents to see a list of identification documents we accept.
  • your bank account details or your parent, step-parent or guardian's bank account details if you are under 18 years old. If you would like victims support payments to be made to an account in another name, please contact us to discuss your options before submitting your application.
  • a report that explains what happened and how the incident affected you. This can be either:
    • a police report (You do not need to send us the police report if you reported the incident to NSW police. You can provide information about your report to NSW police in the application form.)
    • a report from a government or government-funded organisation
    • a medical, dental, or counselling report.
  • documentary evidence of the support you have received from other service providers because of the domestic violence, if applicable.
  • a rental tenancy agreement for your new property if you have relocated to new rental accommodation.

Collecting information to support your application

You can use the following resources and optional forms to help you collect the required information for your Immediate Needs Support Package claim:

For more information on how to collect the information required, visit Supporting documents.

If your claim for an Immediate Needs Support Package is approved

If your claim for an Immediate Needs Support Package is approved, you must:

  • use the money for the approved purpose
  • keep receipts, itemised tax invoices or other evidence, such as a tenancy agreement, rental ledger or bank statement, for a period of 5 years as evidence of how you used the approved funds
  • contact us immediately if your circumstances change after you receive the package and you will no longer use the funds for their agreed purpose.

If you have previously been approved for the Immediate Needs Support Package and want to make a claim for the package again, you will need to provide evidence of how you spent the package that was previously approved, such as receipts, itemised tax invoices, a rental tenancy agreement, rental ledger and/or bank statements. This evidence needs to be provided at the time of making your Immediate Needs Support Package claim.

Last updated:

02 May 2024

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

What's this? To leave this site quickly, click the 'Quick Exit' button. You will be taken to

Top Return to top of page Top